This tasty breakfast muffin takes just minutes to prepare. But this recipe isn’t only fabulous because it’s quick and tasty … it’s also so good for you. Why?
Well, it’s no mystery, really.
Some nuts are good for you
They’re nutrient-dense foods that are pretty rich in unsaturated fatty compounds. However, all nuts are not created equal. Some nuts — like peanuts and cashews — contain lectins. So make sure and stick to skinned almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, and pistachios.
Furthermore, these friendly nuts are —
- High-quality vegetable proteins
- Full of fiber
- Loaded with minerals and polyphenols
And, because of their unique composition, nuts are likely to beneficially impact health outcomes. In fact, recent studies show that nuts might be able to help —
- Reduce heart health issues
- Limit the occurrence of gallstones in both genders
- Diminish hypertension and inflammation
- Lower cholesterol levels
- Make weight loss a bit easier and possibly more successful1
Now, let’s talk about coconut flour
Not only does it add a delicious texture and flavor to your muffin, but coconut flour is a great source of both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber.
Also, both types of fiber may play a significant role in the reduction of bad cholesterol.2 Bonus!
Now, you can really play with the basic recipe here. Feel free to make it your own by adding 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder, some lemon or orange zest, mint leaves, or fresh berries to change the flavor and add an extra polyphenol or flavonoid kick.
You can even shave some 70% cocoa dark chocolate onto the top of your muffin mixture and let it bake into the tippy-top. It’s decadent.
And, if you don’t have a microwave, just pour the batter into a frying pan and serve it up as a pancake. So, let’s get started with:
Dr. Gundry’s Tasty Coconut-Almond Flour Muffin in a Mug
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 1–2 minutes
What You Need —
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or macadamia nut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- Pinch sea salt, preferably iodized
- 1 packet Stevia, or 2 teaspoons Just Like Sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large pastured or omega-3 egg, lightly beaten (or VeganEgg)
What to Do —
- Place the ingredients in an 8 to 12-ounce microwave-safe mug, mixing well with a fork or spatula. Be sure to scrape the bottom and sides, and let the mixture set and sit for a few seconds.
- Next, microwave (yes, microwave) on high for 1 minute and 25 to 30 seconds.
- Using a potholder, remove the mug from the microwave and invert it onto a plate, shaking out the muffin.
- Finally, let your mug-muffin cool for a couple of minutes. Then simply enjoy!
And, if you’d like to make this muffin vegan-style, simply replace the egg with a VeganEgg. It’ll still do the trick.
In The End …
You’ll have a warm, toasty treat that will fill you up and keep you healthy. Dr. Gundry’s tasty coconut-almond flour muffin in a mug is a great way to start (or end) your day. And it’s lovely with a cup of black tea.
Discover More Gundry-Approved Muffin Recipes:
Lectin-Free Cranberry-Orange Muffin Recipe (3 easy steps)
Why Breakfast is NOT the Most Important Meal (+ a healthy muffin recipe)
Gluten Free Muffin You Make In The Microwave [90 secs]
Want help stocking your pantry with Gundry-approved foods? Visit the online grocery shop for Dr. G’s personally curated products for the lectin-free lifestyle. Click the image to shop now: