There’s nothing like waking to the smell of freshly baked muffins in the morning. You walk in the kitchen and feel the warmth of the oven. Pour some tea or brew a pot of fresh coffee. And you know you’re going to have a better day just because you’re kicking things off with something fresh and delicious.
Or … you’ve worked hard all day and just finished a nice dinner. You pop on some light tunes and get to baking – maybe while sipping a glass of wine. That same warmth seeps into your kitchen, and you know tonight’s dessert will satisfy.
Those are the feelings I get when I bake these delicious Cranberry-Orange Muffins.
But, even better than the coziness of a warm kitchen, is the knowledge that these particular treats are so so good for you.
Both great sources of vitamin C, cranberries and oranges have a natural healing power. In fact, cranberries might surprise you when it comes to the power of their beneficial phytochemicals and how they can help prevent various diseases and infections – including cardiovascular issues, health concerns regarding the urinary tract, and even dental health.1
Now, most dried cranberries are sweetened with sugar or corn syrup – so you’ve got to be careful when doing your shopping, and avoid sugary brands at all costs. But, it’s not too hard to find better options. In fact, you can find freeze-dried, unsweetened cranberries at Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods, or even online at Amazon or Thrive Market.
Also, the tangy, tasty orange zest in this recipe adds the perfect pop of flavor. To make the orange zest, use a micro-plane grater (or the nest side of a four-sided grater). And make sure to be careful to avoid the bitter white pith beneath the skin.
So, are you ready to tantalize your taste buds with these super-easy to make, delicious, lectin-free …
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
What you’ll need –
- 1⁄4 cup coconut flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt, preferably iodized
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1⁄4 cup Just Like Sugar or xylitol
- 3 large pastured, omega-3 eggs OR VeganEggs
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup dried, unsweetened cranberries
What to do –
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Line a standard 6-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Place the coconut flour, salt, and baking soda in a food processor fitted with an S-blade. Add the coconut oil, Just Like Sugar, eggs, and orange zest. Pulse until blended. Remove the processor blade and stir in the cranberries by hand.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins, filling to just beneath the rim. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool on a rack for 15 minutes before serving.
*VEGAN VERSION: Replace the eggs with 3 VeganEggs
Want help stocking your pantry with Gundry-approved foods? Visit the online grocery shop for Dr. G’s personally curated products for the lectin-free lifestyle. Click the image to shop now: