You’ve invited friends to town and you want to show them you can host a heck of a weekend, but you don’t want to tank your meal plan. Well, Dr. Gundry’s doctored up just the recipe to impress your guests for brunch… Or a tasty dr gundry breakfast.
This quiche is simple to whip up and makes a great plan-ahead breakfast when you have overnight visitors.
In fact, it’s practically required that you prep your ingredients (and even bake the crust) the night before you serve it.
So, all you have to do is pop the quiche in the oven when your guests are waking into the kitchen, and voilà… your hot, satisfying breakfast appears effortlessly!
Why Is This Breakfast So Good For You?
Well, for starters, you can’t go wrong with broccoli. You see, broccoli has been around a long time – since the ancient Romans were cooking, in fact. While it originally grew wild in the Mediterranean regions, Americans began farming broccoli around the early 1920s.
Today, there are several variations of broccoli. For instance, broccoli raab doesn’t have the bushy tops you’re used to, but instead seems to be a longer, thinner-stemmed version of the green. And broccoflower is a delicious cross between broccoli and cauliflower. It has a paler green color and texturally resembles cauliflower, but it tastes just like broccoli.
When it comes to cruciferous vegetables, like broccoli, cabbage, or cauliflower, you’ve got excellent sources of phytochemicals, polyphenols, and antioxidant vitamins. Plus, broccoli is chock full of dietary minerals.
For example, broccoli is bursting with –
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
But that’s not all. Many studies have suggested that increasing your consumption of plant foods, like broccoli, could potentially –
- Decrease your risk of obesity
- Improve the regulation of your blood sugar levels
- Reduce your risk of certain heart health issues
- Improve your overall wellness
- Promote healthier skin
- Support stronger hair
- Help increase your energy levels
- Support healthier weight maintenance2
If broccoli can do all that, why wouldn’t you eat it? Plus, it provides a satisfying crunch to every bite of this savory and filling quiche.
Dr. Gundry’s Savory and Satisfying Broccoli Cheddar Quiche
What You’ll Need:
For the Crust
- 1¼ cups coconut flour
- ½ cup toasted macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 omega-3 or pastured egg or VeganEgg
For the Filling
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- 5 omega-3 or pastured eggs or VeganEggs
- ²∕₃ cup unsweetened coconut cream
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon iodized sea salt
- 1 cup shredded goat’s milk cheddar cheese or ½ cup nutritional yeast (Read about casein in goat milk to learn why many prefer goat’s milk.)
What To Do:
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray an 8-inch pie tin with olive oil.
2. First, make the crust: pulse the coconut flour, macadamia nuts, coconut oil, and egg in a food processor until the mixture begins to come together. If too dry, add water 1 teaspoon at a time until the mixture becomes cohesive. The mixture will be a little crumbly, similar to a graham cracker crust.
3. Remove the dough from the food processor; press together in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Press the dough into the pie tin using your fingertips, then bake for 10 minutes. Set aside and cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
5. Steam the broccoli for 2 to 3 minutes, then drain and set aside.
6. Combine the eggs, coconut cream, nutmeg, and salt, and mix well.
7. Place the crust on a sheet tray in case it overflows during baking.
8. Sprinkle cheddar cheese or nutritional yeast along the bottom of the crust, then add the broccoli.
9. Pour egg mixture over the top, and bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
So, invite your guests to pull up a chair and dig into this hearty, healthy breakfast treat. They’ll feel like they’re indulging in one of the finest bed and breakfast dining rooms anywhere in the country… but, it’s your kitchen. Open your home, and set your table… this dish is sure to be a hit.
Want help stocking your pantry with Gundry-approved foods? Visit the online grocery shop for Dr. G’s personally curated products for the lectin-free lifestyle. Click the image to shop now: