It’s the beginning of a new year. You’ve probably made a few health goals, including losing some weight. But just because you’re eating healthier doesn’t mean you have to eat bland, boring meals.
You can still cook great meals that your whole family will love while you’re dropping unwanted pounds.
This cabbage recipe is one of my favorites that satisfies and keeps you on track with your health goals. If you need a quick side dish that’s hearty enough to be your main course, this Sautéed Cabbage Recipe with Walnuts & Prosciutto (see cooking video demo below) works!
It’s a simple cabbage, onion, and prosciutto stir fry. It’s rich in flavor and nutrients, thanks to caramelized onions and rosemary. And it’s incredibly easy to make, too! Just make sure you’ve got the following super-power ingredients –
This crunchy, cruciferous veggie is always fun to munch on. When sauteed, the leaves become a mix of peppery-sweetness. It really is a perfect addition to any stir-fry. And cabbage is known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.1
One of the most flavorful veggies out there, onions have a way of making every dish pop with a savory sharpness. But beyond the onion’s distinct taste profile, turns out it’s also incredibly beneficial when it comes to your health. You see, the onion is packed nutrients thought to help –
- Reduce the risk of blood clots
- Support healthy circulation
- Ease breathing and help promote clearer airways2
Rosemary is truly one of the best smelling herbs in the world – and it’s incredible for health, too.
This savory herb hails from the Mediterranean – it’s woody, fragrant, and it grows almost year-round. But rosemary is so much more than just a taste explosion. Its beneficial properties are thought to be great when it comes to –
- Antibacterial activity3
- Helping to reduce your blood sugar levels4
- Decreasing the possible formation of blood clots5
- Helping to improve cognitive issues6
Now that you know the wonderful ways in which these powerhouse ingredients can help you and your family, how could you not try this delicious recipe? You’ve got to taste it.
So, if you’re ready to give it a shot, let’s get started!
Sauteed Cabbage, Onions, and Prosciutto
What You’ll Need –
- 1 head cabbage (any color), thinly shaved
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, diced
- ½ cup chopped prosciutto (optional)
- 1 Tbsp red wine or apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
What To Do –
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add your olive oil and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is tender and translucent.
- Next, add the cabbage, rosemary, and sea salt. Keep cooking – and stirring occasionally – until the cabbage is wilted.
- Then, add the prosciutto and cook for an additional minute. Next up, deglaze the pan with vinegar.
- Finally, remove the pan from the heat and toss with walnuts and cheese. Enjoy!
In the end …
You’ll have a delicious, hot, filling meal or tasty side dish. This dish strikes just the right chords – a little crunchy, a little sweet, and a little salty. And it’s fast and easy – even the clean up is quick!
More delicious, healthy & filling recipes by Dr. Gundry:
Dr. Gundry’s Delicious Sage & Sweet Potato Kale Recipe
Gundry’s Cauliflower “Rice” Pilaf Recipe