Are you looking for an easy Gundry-approved salad recipe? Raw beets can be a healthy and delicious addition to a fresh bed of arugula or other greens.
Continue reading for ingredients and steps to make a delicious, raw beet salad and vinaigrette dressing. One thing that makes this shredded beet salad so great is that you can really change the flavor profile by adding your favorite ingredients.
Homemade Shredded Beet Salad Is A Healthy And Easy Dish To Make Yourself
If you want to make a refreshing and tasty salad to impress your dinner party guests, beets are a bright, crunchy superfood with an earthy flavor. Even if you’re making a salad to accompany dinner for just yourself — why not shake things with a beet treat?
Raw beets are full of health benefits. For starters, just one cup of raw beets yields the following vitamins and nutrients:
- Vitamin C1
Also, beets could offer certain benefits when it comes to the health of your digestive tract and cardiovascular system.2 With all that goodness, isn’t it time to start whipping up your beet salad?
Shredded Beet Salad Ingredients And Steps: Raw Beets, Carrot, Apple, And Walnuts
It doesn’t take much to make a beet salad taste great. But if you’re game, you can really elevate your salad by combining sweet and savory flavors and adding some great textures.
Now, raw beets are less sweet than when they’re roasted or boiled. So, for sweetness, raw carrots and apples(only when they’re in season), are great additions to a raw beet salad.
And for that added crunch, toasted walnuts will shake things up. Walnuts are touted for their rich, buttery smoothness. And the best walnuts can even add a subtle tang to your dish. Furthermore, walnuts are full of useful fatty acids. But walnuts also contain vitamin E and a host of beneficial polyphenols.3
Carrots: The Perfect Mate For Beets
Somehow, raw carrots bring out the earthy flavor of the beet by adding a little sweetness and a crunchier bite. But did you know that carrots also bring their A-game to every dish they’re added to? That’s because β- carotene is an important precursor for vitamin A.
And that’s great news for your skin. Believe it or not, β- carotene can have ultra-violet protective effects in your skin and is also a powerful antioxidant.4 These are just a couple of the great benefits of carrots that can add even more of a healthy boost to your shredded beet salad.
So, now that you’ve got a few options of ways to personalize your shredded beet salad, are you ready to get started?
Dr. Gundry’s Tasty Shredded Beet And Carrot Salad Recipe
What You’ll Need:
- 1 pound raw beets
- 2 medium shallots
- 2 large raw carrots
- ½ tsp sea salt (more to taste)
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin, of course)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup fresh arugula or other salad green (or shredded cabbage if crunch is your thing)
- Minced dill, diced rosemary, cilantro, or mint leaves
- Handful of walnuts
What To Do:
Could this be any simpler?
- Peel the beets. Peel the shallots. Cut off the carrot and beet greens, and save for another dish (try them sautéed with garlic).
- Combine shallots, beets, and carrots in a food processor and slowly pulse until the beets are shredded. Be careful not to over-shred the beets if using a food processor. You can also use a box grater if you’d prefer.
- Add beets, carrots, and shallots to a mixing bowl. Toss the mixture with sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, olive oil, and vinegar. No need to whisk at all. Just toss a bit.
- Add arugula or another favorite salad green to the large bowl. Mince cilantro, mint leaves, or herb of choice and add to your salad.
- Throw in your walnuts (and you can toast them for a buttery, smoky flavor). Toss your shredded beet salad once more. Transfer the salad to your favorite serving bowl and dish it up.
Shake It Up And Make It Your Own
A squeeze of fresh lemon can do a lot to brighten up a salad.
To really kick your salad up a notch, try adding some fresh slices of avocado to the top. When it comes to salad, the best ones combine different textures and flavors. The creaminess of the avocado can make you feel as if your dressing is creamy — even if you’ve concocted a vinaigrette.