Christmas cookie baking is in full swing! In fact, at the Gundry MD headquarters, we’ve got a contest going for the healthiest (and TASTIEST) cookie.
Here’s what I’ll be making—wish me luck I win! It’s festive, delicious, and inspired by everyone’s favorite chocolate spread: Nutella.
Unlike conventional Nutella, this recipe isn’t loaded with sugar, soy, and unhealthy palm oil. Instead, it’s rich in protein, high in polyphenols, and PACKED with flavor.
Even better – my “better than nutella” treats are incredibly easy to make.
Dr. Gundry’s Chocolate Hazelnut “Better Than Nutella” Cookies
Ingredients (makes 12-14 cookies):
- 2 cups toasted hazelnuts (or 1 cup 100% hazelnut butter)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons powdered Stevia
- 2 pastured or omega-3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not dutch)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 oz chopped bittersweet chocolate (at least 72%, ideally 85% cacao)
- Preheat oven to 325. Oil a cookie sheet (or line it with parchment) and set aside.
- If using whole hazelnuts, grind in a food processor or blender until the consistency of peanut butter. Measure 1 cup of hazelnut butter into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk hazelnut butter with eggs, olive oil vanilla extract, and stevia until well combined.
- Sift the sea salt, cocoa powder, coconut flour and baking soda into the hazelnut mixture and stir until combined.
- Add chopped chocolate, mix well, then scoop into tablespoon-sized balls (about the size of half a golf ball), 12 per cookie sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then flatten with a spatula, if you prefer a flatter cookie. Cook an additional 5-7 minutes, until firm on top, then remove and let cool before serving.
And just in case this recipe isn’t enough, I’ve got another Christmas Cookie recipe for you, on my blog.
It’s a twist on classic sugar cookies, with just a hint of festive almond-and-orange flavor, and it’s DELICIOUS.
Have a happy holiday season,
Steven Gundry, MD
P.S. Do you have a traditional cookie you want to try the Gundry way? Here’s a simple tip: Trade almond flour for all-purpose flour, and Stevia for sugar. It won’t be exactly the same, but it’ll help curb your cravings.
Want help stocking your pantry with Gundry-approved foods? Visit the online grocery shop for Dr. G’s personally curated products for the lectin-free lifestyle. Click the image to shop now: