Unlike conventional Nutella, this recipe isn’t loaded with sugar, soy, and unhealthy palm oil. Instead, it’s rich in protein, high in polyphenols, and PACKED with flavor.
Even better – Dr. Gundry’s “better than nutella” treats are incredibly easy to make.
Dr. Gundry’s Chocolate Hazelnut “Better Than Nutella” Cookies
Ingredients (makes 12-14 cookies):
- 2 cups toasted hazelnuts (or 1 cup 100% hazelnut butter)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons powdered Stevia
- 2 pastured or omega-3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not dutch)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 oz chopped bittersweet chocolate (at least 72%, ideally 85% cacao)
- Preheat oven to 325. Oil a cookie sheet (or line it with parchment) and set aside.
- If using whole hazelnuts, grind in a food processor or blender until the consistency of peanut butter. Measure 1 cup of hazelnut butter into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk hazelnut butter with eggs, olive oil vanilla extract, and stevia until well combined.
- Sift the sea salt, cocoa powder, coconut flour and baking soda into the hazelnut mixture and stir until combined.
- Add chopped chocolate, mix well, then scoop into tablespoon-sized balls (about the size of half a golf ball), 12 per cookie sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then flatten with a spatula, if you prefer a flatter cookie. Cook an additional 5-7 minutes, until firm on top, then remove and let cool before serving.
P.S. Do you have a traditional cookie you want to try the Gundry way? Here’s a simple tip: Trade almond flour for all-purpose flour, and Stevia for sugar. It won’t be exactly the same, but it’ll help curb your cravings.
Want help stocking your pantry with Gundry-approved foods? Visit the online grocery shop for Dr. G’s personally curated products for the lectin-free lifestyle. Click the image to shop now: