Creamed spinach is a holiday staple, and with good reason – it’s versatile. You can use it as a side dish with meat, but honestly, it’s great as a vegetarian entree, as well.
So what makes Dr. Gundry’s not-so-creamed spinach so great for your waistline AND your tastebuds?
Well, typically, creamed spinach is packed with ingredients that prime your system for weight gain: flour, milk, tons of salt, and even sugar.
But with a few simple swaps, this recipe eliminates all those diet dangers – and it could even help you absorb more beneficial polyphenols.
So, what changes did Dr. Gundry make, exactly?
They’re actually pretty small…but they make a huge impact on your health. All he did was swap the lectin-loaded wheat flour for coconut flour, and sub nutrient-rich coconut milk for cow’s milk.
Beyond that, the addictive creaminess, the nuttiness from the cheese and the hint of nutmeg that give creamed spinach its traditional flair are still the same.
Bonus: This recipe comes together in just a few minutes – you can make it in the time it takes that roast to rest after cooking.
Dr. Gundry’s Creamed Spinach
Ingredients (serves 6-8):
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 (10-oz) bags fresh baby spinach, washed and dried well
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 oz organic cream cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon fresh-grated nutmeg
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until onions are tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add spinach to the onion mixture and cook about 1 minute, until wilted, then add the cream, cream cheese and parmesan.
- Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is well-combined – about 2 minutes – then finish with lemon juice, nutmeg, sea salt, and pepper before serving.
Want help stocking your pantry with Gundry-approved foods? Visit the online grocery shop for Dr. G’s personally curated products for the lectin-free lifestyle. Click the image to shop now: