Spring’s around the corner, but it’s not quite here yet. Which means you can keep having those warming comfort foods. When it’s cold and blustery out, the yummiest comfort foods are piping hot and hearty. And that’s why Dr. Gundry’s Raw Mushroom Soup makes it to the top of the list.
And mushrooms aren’t just a comfort, they’re one of the ultimate heroes when it comes to healthy eats. In fact, did you know the ancient Greeks believed mushrooms gave strength to warriors in battle? It’s true.
And the ancient Romans thought mushrooms were the “food of the Gods.”
The Health Benefits Of Mushrooms
So, as it turns out, mushrooms do offer some incredible health benefits.
For instance, mushrooms:
- Give your body important nutrients, like selenium, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D, proteins, and fiber.1
- May help lower blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride concentrations, helping with metabolic health concerns and blood glucose management.2
- Might even stimulate your immune system and support immune response.3
But, again, it’s not just the health benefits of mushrooms that make them such a wonderful food – it’s the flavor, texture, and consistency.
The Healthy Comfort Food
And, of course, most comfort foods take a lot of time to prepare, and you have to wait (and wait!) for several hours just to be able to serve it. That’s not the case with Gundry’s raw mushroom soup. You can almost indulge as soon as you crave it – that’s because it’s super fast and easy to make.
Now, this mushroom medley is perfect for soup – all you need is a food processor or a high-powered blender, and you’ll have hot soup in minutes.
It’s literally ready in just minutes! And – it’s vegan.
Now, you can eat this soup as a side, or a light lunch, but when paired with a green salad or roasted veggie, this soup makes a delightful dinner.
And you really can sort of choose your own adventure with this soup, because you get to pick out your favorite mushrooms. Whether you choose button, cremini, morels, chanterelles, shiitake, or portobello – this soup will fill you up. For a flavor explosion, try mixing them up.
Another bonus … your gut buddies will just adore mushrooms! Oh, and one last thought before we get going with this recipe. Though truffle oil is an optional addition, it’s highly recommended.
Dr. Gundry’s Raw Mushroom Soup
Prep time: 20 minutes Serves: 2
What You’ll Need:
- 2 large handfuls of mushrooms with stems, approximately 2 1⁄2 cups
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup raw walnuts (1⁄4 cup almond butter or 1⁄4 cup hemp seed hearts)
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon iodized sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves (or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil (optional, but do it!)
What To Do:
- First, chop a 1⁄2 cup of the mushrooms, and set them aside.
- Next, place the remaining 2 cups of mushrooms, the water, walnuts, onions, salt, pepper, and thyme in a food processor fitted with the S-blade (or in a high-speed blender).
- Pulse the ingredients for 30 seconds. Then blend them for 2 minutes.
- Check the blend for temperature (it should be warm but not hot). If you prefer, blend on high for another minute or longer, until it gets hotter. (You can even transfer to a saucepan and heat on low for a few minutes).
- Pour the soup into two bowls. It should be thick and gravy-like.
- Finally, top your soup with the chopped mushrooms, and drizzle with the truffle oil.
When All is Said and Done …
You’ll have a delicious meal to help energize you for the rest of your day, or comfort you as you start to get comfy and cozy for the night. It’s the perfect soup to share with a friend. (Or you can refrigerate your raw mushroom soup and save it for tomorrow’s lunch.)