Recipe by Gina Hill, Lectin Free Creations
This is a lectin-free meatless main dish & compliant pasta meal for a crowd! It reheats nicely in a pan with Olive Oil if you have left-overs, but it’s hard to imagine that you would!
Big Green Organics Foods brings us all a compliant pasta made out of one ingredient, millet only. Millet and sorghum are two grains that you can enjoy while living a lectin-free lifestyle. Additionally, the pan-fried shallots taste like onion rings with zero batter or guilt!
- 3 jumbo shallots, sliced into thin rings
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil; divided
- 1 tsp iodized sea salt
- 8 oz. lectin-free millet penne pasta from Big Green Organics
- 9 oz. bag shredded Brussels sprouts or 12oz whole Brussels sprouts, trimmed then shredded (Use food processor)
- 2 cups of chopped broccoli florets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup lectin-free chicken broth or veggie broth
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 Tbsp French or Italian butter
- 2 Tbsp capers & some of the caper juice
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- European Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, for topping
- Start by slicing 3 jumbo shallots into rings.
- Heat 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, but not smoking, toss in half the shallots then cook until light golden brown. Be sure not to overcook them because dark brown shallots will taste bitter.
- Transfer the shallots to a paper towel-lined plate to drain then lightly sprinkle with salt. Repeat with the remaining shallots and then set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil then add BGO Penne pasta. Cook until al dente. Drain then set aside.
- Shred Brussels sprouts through your food processor. Skip this step if using pre-shredded Brussels sprouts.
- Trim broccoli into smaller pieces, rinse and set aside.
- Using the same pan as onions, add the Brussels sprouts and broccoli. Drizzle the divided olive oil over top. Cook on medium-high until they soften. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic then saute for 30 more seconds.
- Add chicken broth then simmer until reduced by half, 3-4 minutes.
- Now, stir in chopped dill, butter, capers, a little caper juice, and lemon juice. Taste, then add salt & pepper.
- Combine vegetable mixture with penne pasta. Stir well.
- Serve penne pasta into individual bowls. Top with freshly grated European Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and fried shallots.
To reheat, add a little olive oil on top of the pasta in a frying pan. Turn the heat on medium-low and stir frequently.
**This recipe was submitted by Gundry MD Ambassador Gina Hill of Lectin Free Creations and has not been tested by the Gundry MD team.